How To Create A Click-To-Chat WhatsApp Link For People To Send You Direct Messages.
With the increase in use of WhatsApp by so many businesses and individuals, users always try to find an efficient, fast and easy way to reach out to or being reached through for ease of communication process.
Gone are the days where WhatsApp would not let you send a message to someone whose contact is not saved in your phone book. WhatsApp has a feature that allows people to create click-to-chat links to start a direct conversation with someone.
The feature allows you to begin a chat with someone without having to save their phone numbers in your phone. By clicking on the link, a chat with someone you intend to chat with automatically opens.
And here are easy steps on how to create a click-to-chat WhatsApp link for people to send you direct messages or for you to send them such messages:
Creating your own click-to-chat link
According to WhatsApp FAQ, you can start to chat with any number by entering a web address on any browser using the format:
- https://wa.me/[phonenumber] where the [phonenumber] is a full phone number in international format but without the plus [+] sign, the zeros  or brackets as per international normal format.
- Use: https://wa.me/263781234567
- Don’t use: https://wa.me/+263781234567
- Copy this link and paste wherever, be it WhatsApp, Facebook or email where you click on and be directed to the chat.
Note that this is not only limited to your own number but you can also use the same format with someone else’s number in order to reach out to them.
Inserting a message on your link
In order to enter a pre-filled message that will automatically appear in the text field of a chat, be it a call to action, a greeting or a keyword, you can use the below format:
- https://wa.me/[whatsappphonenumber]/?text=urlencodedtext, where [whatsappphonenumber] is a full phone number in international format and URL-encodedtext is the URL-encoded pre-filled message.
- Note, you can also use this format to create a link that is directed not only to yourself but contacts on your phone book.
- Use the format with just a pre-filled message as: https://wa.me/?text=urlencodedtext
- Example: https://wa.me/?text=I’m%20inquiring%20about%20the%20apartment%20listing`
- After clicking on the link, you’ll be shown a list of contacts you can send your message to.
You can alternatively use WhatsApp Link Generator sites available online.